Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Jolly Green Giant!


Our time in Denver was short, but Alex and Coco had a great time at grandma and grandpa’s. They got along great with Ringo and got plenty of kitty treats.

We arrived in Washington DC in April and moved into a four story townhouse, boy talk about stairs! Alex enjoys chasing Coco up and down and up and down, it is very entertaining. After renting for a year we decided to buy our own house and in June of 2002 we moved into our very own town home in the same neighborhood with a wonderful park view. I always say that if Sebastian were still here he would be bringing all sorts of wildlife from the park into the house! But now I have Alex and he does his share of bird hunting even though he’s an inside cat, sort of…

Alex can go out on our balcony, not good news for the birds, but hey, he's a cat right! One day Alex was out on the balcony, hiding in the geraniums, not a big deal, he's always out there....or so I thought! I had just gone upstairs to have a morning of beauty. You know, deep cleansing mask on the face, nail polish, you get the idea. WELL, Alex caught a bird as it was flying, yes flying, by! He immediately brought it in the house and started to bring it to me! Of course Mike is chasing him around and yelling for me to come and do something (remember the beauty morning) sooooooooo I’m in my robe with a GREEN mask on my face and cotton balls between my toes, I mean it was classic. And here comes Alex with the bird. Well Alex had never seen me with the mask before so he didn’t recognize me, I don’t think Mike did either, Ha Ha. He was so startled by my green face that he dropped the bird! Now we have a bird flying around the house a cat chasing it, a husband trying to catch it in the laundry basket and a wife with a cracking face!!!! That poor bird finally just flopped to the ground and Mike got him in the basket and put him back outside. Alex was very upset that we took his prize, but I told him he was a good boy, and fed him a big plate of turkey!

Alex has many other talents besides being a first rate hunter. He is also not afraid of heights. He actually prefers to be on the highest place in the room. His favorite perch is on top of the kitchen cabinets, he likes to keep an eye on his kingdom. He also plays fetch and when he wants to play he will go to his toy box pick a toy and bring it to you, as if to say, “OK I’m ready to play now” He is a very smart cat and he has taught Coco to fetch as well!

Time keeps passing us by and it only reminds me that my precious princess Coco Chanel will not be with us forever. She is 13 and Alex just turned 2 so it is time to think about getting a cat that is closer in age to Alex. So November 2002 Mike and I expanded our cat family to include a new addition. Her name is Cleopatra, Cleo for short, and she is an Egyptian Mau, hence the name Cleopatra. More Cat Tails to come.......

No comments: