Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Reflections and Tears




Our time in Washington ended on March 16th that was the day we left for our new home on the East Coast. We were missing one thing on that day……Sebastian. Sadly, and I am writing this with tears in my eyes, I lost my beautiful cat 2 months earlier on January 10, 2001.




I had let him out as usual, it was such a nice day and I thought he would enjoy the sunshine. He and Coco went out around the corner of the house Like they had done so many times before. I went upstairs to take a shower. About 20 minutes later Coco came running up the stairs with a poofy tail and she kept looking behind her as though something was chasing her. I went outside and called Sebastian but it was quiet and peaceful, still there was something not right. I continued to call him for the rest of the day and I looked all day and asked the neighbors if they had seen him. The day turned to night and it was cold and still no Sebastian. I didn’t sleep at all that night and I was out searching through the forest by 5:30am, this pattern went on for 2 solid weeks, I also put up signs EVERYWHERE and called the Humane Society everyday. Nothing I did worked I was alone (Mike was at sea) and very depressed. I had just lost my little soul mate. My friend, Annette, came over and helped me look but I never did find him…..




Here is what I think happened to him. We had a family of Coyotes living down the valley from us and the day Sebastian disappeared the neighbors and I heard them howling. I am 99% sure that he was taken by a Coyote and Coco witnessed the whole thing. When she came running in that day she had been really spooked and now if she even hears a dog bark she freaks out a little. This has been a traumatic and horrible experience and I’m not sure what I am supposed to learn from it but I urge all of you to keep your kitties inside especially if you live in a wooded area. There are so many things I wish I could change and not letting Sebastian out that day tops the list. I miss him….

When Mike arrived home to this tragedy he tried to help by looking day and night for Sebastian, but you see, I had already done that. Never-the-less we looked together it was nice to have him home and not have to go through this alone anymore. January turned to February and still no Sebastian I was feeling really low, lower then I have EVER felt in my life. It was the Saturday before Valentine’s Day and I was on-line checking the Humane Society in case Sebastian was there, when I came across a little Russian Blue kitten that was up for adoption. I mentioned to Mike that I thought he was beautiful so he grabbed my coat and said “lets go have a look.” So we went, but when we arrived the kitten had already been adopted, but did I really want another cat? I was still mourning Sebastian as I am right now. Anyway, we went home empty handed which was OK too. Then on Sunday, Mike was looking in the classifieds and there was a Russian Blue advertised for sale. So we called and off we went to the apartment where the cat was. I have never in my life bought a cat they have always just shown up in my yard or I get them from the Humane Society, but this little kitten NEEDED to get out of where it was living. The apartment was filthy and overrun with cats, the woman that had him was obviously a drug addict so Mike and I quickly adopted the kitten and got the heck outta there. His name is Alexander, Alex for short and he has started a new chapter in his life and brought much needed joy and laughter to mine.......more Cat Tails to come.......

No comments: