Thursday, November 8, 2007

Casa della Gatti


Sebastian and Coco spent the next few days getting used to their new Italian Villa. It was a big place with a wrap around balcony and a rooftop balcony so they had plenty of space to explore. There was also a garden full of lemon trees and grapevines. It was a kitty paradise, or so I thought...

Naples is rather over run with stray cats and dogs so I didn’t feel comfortable letting Sebastian and Coco explore the garden. They spent many hours looking longingly at it from the balcony. Then one day I just couldn't take it anymore and I decided to let Sebastian out. Well, just like a good kitty he disappeared. I thought "GREAT! I've lost him in Italy!" I spent the afternoon looking for him, then at about 4:00pm I heard the not so distant sound of barking dogs! I went out on the balcony to see what the commotion was and here comes Sebastian running at full kitty sprint down the street with three hungry Naples dogs in hot pursuit! They had a look in their eyes that said lunch! I screamed for Mike to come quickly and just as he made it outside Sebastian made it to the safety of our gate! Once inside the yard he collapsed under the car, he must have been thinking "Shit! That was close, I think those dogs literally wanted to eat me for lunch!" Once he could breathe again I dragged him out from under the car and took him upstairs. Coco greeted him with the usual biff upside his head and seemed to be saying “You fool, I told you that would happen!” Needless to say, he didn’t express any interest to go outside again for a while.

A few months later a little kitten appeared in the yard. Our neighbor adopted him and he became the garden cat. We named him “Billy” as in Bill the Cat. He was one of the sweetest cats I have known in a stupid, silly kind of way. He got along with everyone including Sebastian. They would chase each other for hours in the garden. I don’t know if Sebastian was really enjoying it, but Billy sure was. Coco just looked down at the commotion from the balcony glad not to be a part of it. Well, one cat in the garden soon led to more. Billy went out and brought home two of his friends, Bianca and Tigger. Bianca was pure white with beautiful green eyes and Tigger, well she looked like a tiger! The three of them became the extended family as Mike called them. We took good care of them, got them their shots and had Billy fixed. We also provided a warm blanket in a box that was inside our hallway. At night, they would all curl up together and dream of chasing each other in the garden. Life was good at "Casa della Gatti" (house of the cats).

No comments: