Thursday, October 18, 2007

Ghost Cat

Phantom

Phantom appeared soon after I lost Blacky. She was a beautiful gray long haired cat that would only allow a select few to see her, hence her name Phantom. One minute she would be there and then “POOF” gone like she’d never been there at all. I figured that she must have been an abused cat because she was so timid and afraid of people. She especially did not like men. She would run whenever she saw my dad or any man.

After many weeks of tempting her with food, Phantom finally grew to trust me and we became fast friends. She used to sleep with me in my room and when she wanted to go out she would scratch this poster that was on the wall. The noise would wake me instantly, and she knew that. She would scratch, scratch and scratch until I got out of bed (usually in the middle of the night) and let her outside!


She was incredibly athletic and used to climb trees like I have never seen. She would climb right up to where the birds had their nests; then she would rob them of the babies and enjoy a little snack! Amazing! When it was dinnertime, she had a ritual she used to go through. She would sit down in front of her water dish and wash her paws! dipping delicately into the the water. When they were all clean then she would eat and after dinner she would wash her face and paws in the water dish again, that same delicate motion, dip, dip, wash, wash.

I only had Phantom for about a year, I attempted to take her to college with me. She did not like that one bit! She got out on the balcony one night and disappeared into the mountains of Colorado.... I spent months looking for her, I put up flyer's, looked everywhere, but she was gone, it was heartbreaking. I will never forget her and I am thankful for the time I got to spend with her (although way too short) and I hope she found a nice happy place to live with lots of trees for her to climb.....more Cat Tails to come

No comments: